[Live-demo] translation for udig quickstart guide and data sets

Frank Gasdorf fgdrf at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jun 15 07:11:27 PDT 2011

Hallo List,

hopefully I hit the right list!

As a preparation for the German Intergeo (this year in September) I'd like
to contribute the translation for the udig_quickstart to the live OSGEO
project. I already got commit rights for the svn repository (Thanks to
Astrid)

At the moment I checked out the sources and reviewed the current docs.

I was wondering, where the data is coming from for the different projects. The
only folder I found (
https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/app-data) contains just
sld's for geoserver and a gvsig project file that references shapefiles
(e.g. /home/user/data/openjump/data/departement22.shp) I've no idea where
the data can be found and what kind of data is already on the disk (no
install shell script downloads or copies data), I'm just a bit confused.

I'm asking because the quickstart of udig uses it's own downloaded data set.
Properly the udig install script could jump over downloading huge data sets
and the quickstart could just use already existing one (geoserver, gvsig,
etc)

Mail from Jody Garnett :

 Currently the quickstart uses the normal udig dataset which the install
> script downloads:
> - http://udig.refractions.net/files/data/
> - http://udig.refractions.net/files/data/data_1_2.zip

How do you handle the data sets, each project contributes it's own? Where
can I find some information about the VM creation process?

And how about an upgrade from udig 1.2.0 to 1.2.2 (comming within a few
days)?

Thanks a lot,

Frank Gasdorf