[Live-demo] translation for udig quickstart guide and data sets

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 14:30:13 PDT 2011

On 16/06/11 00:11, Frank Gasdorf wrote:
> Hallo List,
>
> hopefully I hit the right list!
Yes you have.

> As a preparation for the German Intergeo (this year in September) I'd
> like to contribute the translation for the udig_quickstart to the live
> OSGEO project. I already got commit rights for the svn repository
> (Thanks to Astrid)

Thanks, can you please add your name as a contributor (and/or a
translator) in the trunk/doc directory.

If you haven't already found it, some of your future questions may be
answered from pages which link from:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc
In particular:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Translate

> At the moment I checked out the sources and reviewed the current docs.
>
> I was wondering, where the data is coming from for the different
> projects. The only folder I found
> (https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/app-data) contains
> just sld's for geoserver and a gvsig project file that references
> shapefiles (e.g. /home/user/data/openjump/data/departement22.shp) I've
> no idea where the data can be found and what kind of data is already
> on the disk (no install shell script downloads or copies data), I'm
> just a bit confused.

Yes, the udig data links are wrong at:
http://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/udig_quickstart.html
I recently corrected them in the doc/en/quickstart/udig_quickstart.rst file.
The data is installed into /usr/local/share/data/udig-data/

Jody has noted that we we should use the natural earth dataset in the
future demo. Jody, Andrea?

You might want to help adjust quickstart to do this?

> I'm asking because the quickstart of udig uses it's own downloaded
> data set. Properly the udig install script could jump over downloading
> huge data sets and the quickstart could just use already existing one
> (geoserver, gvsig, etc)
>
> Mail from Jody Garnett :
>
>         Currently the quickstart uses the normal udig dataset which
>         the install script downloads:
>         - http://udig.refractions.net/files/data/
>         - http://udig.refractions.net/files/data/data_1_2.zip
>

> How do you handle the data sets, each project contributes it's own?
Some projects have produced their own dataset, but we prefer everyone to
use the common dataset in order to save space.

Explained here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Example_Datasets
> Where can I find some information about the VM creation process?
You can download a VM here:
http://live.osgeo.org/en/download.html

You can create a VM from an ISO here:
http://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/virtualbox_quickstart.html

The full building of a VM from scratch is explained here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Build

> And how about an upgrade from udig 1.2.0 to 1.2.2 (comming within a
> few days)?

Jody and Andrea?

> Thanks a lot,
>
> Frank Gasdorf