[Live-demo] Re: LiveDVD Copyright Ambiguity - speak up if you have issues

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 17:53:34 PDT 2011

I'm against using "Share Alike" for OSGeo-Live docs.
"Share Alike" is a viral license, which implies that any work which
incorporates pages from OSGeo-Live will also need to be licensed CC-By-SA.

I think there are many legitimate situations where people will want to
include sections of OSGeo-Live documentation in reports or similar, but
will not be in a position to re-publish under a CC license.

For example,
Someone may be commissioned to do a report for a newspaper, or
government, or similar, comparing different software packages and the
standards they use. The  newspaper is not about to change their
copyright policy over this one article.
I believe this is a very desirable use of OSGeo-Live documentation, and
as such, we should allow people to publish derivative works without the
viral component.

Ie, go for Creative Commons by Attribution. (no Share Alike).