Fwd: Re: [Live-demo] Impacts of OSGeo-Live document license selection on OSGeo

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Sun Jun 26 22:51:38 PDT 2011

On 21/06/11 18:16, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Simon,
> As you prompted this initial discussion with some well stated comments,
> I'm wondering whether you wish to add comment to this thread before we
> make a call on it.
>
> (My current expectation is that we will use CC-By for Project Overviews,
> and CC-By-SA for Quickstarts).

Cameron,

Sorry for the tardy reply. I have been on holidays for the last few
weeks. I have however been watching the debate with interest whenever I
had the opportunity.

Thanks for the opportunity to comment on the above proposal.

*** PRECURSOR ***

First of all let me say that I am only talking from my own point of view
and not as an official representative for any of the projects listed on
the Live-DVD. My only contribution has been a quickstart for gvSIG. Most
of my musing regarding this topic was in preparation of the
http://www.fossworkflowguides.com website.

*** POINT 1 ***

Regardless of what you settle on I would suggest that you choose one
license not two. Having two licenses for essentially the same thing --
project documentation -- is confusing for future contributors. At some
stage someone will be asking when something they are producing stops
being a Project Overview and becomes a Quickstart, or visa versa, and
what happens with the licensing.

It appears from the thread that Hamish was the main person not happy
with Share-Alike, hence the CC-BY for the Project Overviews. No offence,
but apart from some comment about being viral, I could not see any clear
expression of what concerns Hamish had about this option for the CC
licence. I will discuss the official difference below.

*** POINT 2 ***

If you compare the legal code for the CC-BY and CC-BY-SA license
(unported) (ignoring a few differences in white space, typos and
spelling errors and a few extra definitions), Clause 4(b) is the only
difference...

The legal stuff states...

"4(b). You may Distribute or Publicly Perform an Adaptation only under
the terms of: (i) this License; (ii) a later version of this License
with the same License Elements as this License; (iii) a Creative Commons
jurisdiction license (either this or a later license version) that
contains the same License Elements as this License (e.g.,
Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 US)); (iv) a Creative Commons Compatible
License. If you license the Adaptation under one of the licenses
mentioned in (iv), you must comply with the terms of that license. If
you license the Adaptation under the terms of any of the licenses
mentioned in (i), (ii) or (iii) (the "Applicable License"), you must
comply with the terms of the Applicable License generally and the
following provisions: (I) You must include a copy of, or the URI for,
the Applicable License with every copy of each Adaptation You Distribute
or Publicly Perform; (II) You may not offer or impose any terms on the
Adaptation that restrict the terms of the Applicable License or the
ability of the recipient of the Adaptation to exercise the rights
granted to that recipient under the terms of the Applicable License;
(III) You must keep intact all notices that refer to the Applicable
License and to the disclaimer of warranties with every copy of the Work
as included in the Adaptation You Distribute or Publicly Perform; (IV)
when You Distribute or Publicly Perform the Adaptation, You may not
impose any effective technological measures on the Adaptation that
restrict the ability of a recipient of the Adaptation from You to
exercise the rights granted to that recipient under the terms of the
Applicable License. This Section 4(?) applies to the Adaptation as
incorporated in a Collection, but this does not require the Collection
apart from the Adaptation itself to be made subject to the terms of the
Applicable License."
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode

In short...

"If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute
the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one."

I do not understand why this would be of concern. In my mind it only
purpose is to stop derivatives becoming closed documents -- if I release
my original document to the world free of charge and derivatives should
also be made available to the world free of charge, not to be used by a
corporation for one of their commercial products where only paying
customers can gain access to their derivatives. Corporations can easily
get around 'this perceived problem' by releasing the modified
documentation back to the public as well as including them in their
official release documentation.

In recent times, this has been put forward as an alternative to the
non-commercial option (see links for discussion).
- http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/9/11/16331/0655
- http://freedomdefined.org/Licenses/NC

If anyone is interested, a broader discussion of my views on these and
other CC options can be found at the following location...
- http://www.fossworkflowguides.com/#contribute

In summary -- My interpretation of this clause is that it prevents
people making derivatives from releasing their versions under a more
restrictive license. In my mind, this is not a bad thing. Also I am not
sure how it could be considered viral either.

*** POINT 3 ***

Realistically, document ownership belongs to each author. Therefore,
authors should be allowed to choose a license they can use in their
jurisdiction, as it will be the author that takes action in their own
jurisdiction, if a breach of copyright is detected.

Choosing a CC-BY-SA unported license is one thing but this document does
not always hold up in court due to variation in copyright laws
throughout the world. Licensing should be specific to the country that
the main author resides unless an unported licence does not exist.
Moving from a CC-BY-SA for one country to another is allowed under the
legal code and does not pose any major problem, except maybe a logistic
one for the Live DVD team.

*** POINT 4 ***

Copyright details should be retained with the actual 'work' (i.e.
Project Overview or Quickstart).

As each document is in itself a defined document (rather than a book or
technical document) and can be pilfered and reused in other areas as a
distinct document, copyright details should be provided with each
document regardless of the format it is released (RST file or HTML file).

At present, on the Live DVD  documentation, authorship and licensing is
ambiguous. Where some people have put license details in the RST file
this has not been carried across to the HTML version. In fact, the HTML
website looks as if it has been created solely by LisaSoft and OSGeo --
Foundation look at the bottom of EVER page -- it stated "© OSGeo
Foundation and LISAsoft 2011" with no reference to the author or the
licence the work is released. To me, two lines at the top of the page
is, at minimum, essential -- one stating the author(s) and another the
licence the work is released under. In addition, it is good practice to
ensure all other works (images, data, etc) are appropriately cited and
copyright details provided.

One solution is to include a metadata section at the end of each
document like I have on my website (http://www.fossworkflowguides.com).
Another solution is to include captions with pictures outlining the
origin of works used, etc (e.g. This image has been reproduced with
permission from the Commonwealth of Australia).

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper
    Principal Consultant