Fwd: Re: [Live-demo] Impacts of OSGeo-Live document license selection on OSGeo

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 07:07:24 PDT 2011

Simon wrote:
> It appears from the thread that Hamish was the main person
> not happy with Share-Alike, hence the CC-BY for the Project
> Overviews. No offence, but apart from some comment about
> being viral, I could not see any clear expression of what
> concerns Hamish had about this option for the CC licence. I
> will discuss the official difference below.

You didn't see examples of my concerns because there weren't any
:) -you misread something, I have no problem with Share-alike, it
would actually be my preferred option if I was alone in this. I
like SA for the quickstarts; I do not mind much if the overview
docs were not SA, as there is limited creative work in those.
but that is not to say that I have any trouble with SA, I don't.
my other comment was re. calling it "viral" is actually rather
insulting if one stops to think about the implied connotations
and conflations, and "share alike" works better to explain the
implications of it anyway.

cheers,
Hamish