[Live-demo] 5.0alpha2 build logs

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 14:31:35 PDT 2011

> We hit a wall with the gdal 1.8 package provided in
> ubuntugis-unstable repository : it breaks TIFF support for
> applications linking to both gdal and tiff, which is the case
> for OTB, making the OTB packages pretty much useless.

try building against libgdal1-1.6.0 from the main ubu archives.
both libgdal1-1.6.0 and libgdal1-1.8.0 are being shipped + used
on the disc right now. lib1.6 from canonical, lib1.8 from ubuntu-
gis (who in turn grabbed it from debian/experimental).
[libgdal1-1.6.0 is really gdal 1.6.3, not 1.6.0]

> The solution we chose for the OTB debian package is to patch
> the gdal source package, and provide a patched binary package
> In particular, it will spread out as the default gdal on the
> OSGeo Live CD.

mmmmh, messing with core packages is rather serious business, I
worry that we don't have the testing resources to validate that
there are no unintended consequences.

> I don't like it a lot, but we don't have a better solution
> coming to mind.

could you build against natty's 1.6.3?

> Meanwhile, I'm confident about the fact that the patch has no
> functionnal impact on gdal.

I've been bitten by these assumptions so many times that now
I try very hard to not make them.

One solution is to try to get the patch pushed into ubuntugis's
1.8.0, preferably after it has been pushed into gdal's svn.
Has there been resistance to accepting the patch upstream?

thanks,
Hamish