[Live-demo] Liberal licensing of Project Overviews in LiveDVD, do we want this?

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Thu Jun 30 17:02:04 PDT 2011

Cameron,

Feel free to proceed. Don't delay your production on my part.

I have aired my concerns and the OSGeo community has responded.

Thank you for the opportunity to try and engage the community on the matter.

Considering the response by most people I don't understand why you
bother licensing the quickstarts with CC-BY-SA. Most (~95%) currently
don't have any clear licensing subscribed and no one except me and
Hamish have argued for the CC-BY-SA license. If fact, this exercise and
others I have had over the last few years show most people don't give a
second thought about copyright.

Also if you pushed for CC0, considering most people have been happy in
the past with just being noted as contributors to the project (on the
sponsorship page) and not authors to any particular documents, this
would remove any legal constrains and requirements.

Your problem is...
1. If you assign CC-BY-SA to the QuickStarts then there is no going back
to a CC0 or CC-BY.
2. If you assign CC0 or CC-BY to the QuickStarts, each contributor needs
to be given the opportunity to withdraw their contribution if they are
not happy with the more liberal license (based on my guesstimate that is
only a ~5% rewrite).

Anyway this is my last rant on the topic -- talking copyright is like
trying to beat a dead horse.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper