[Live-demo] Re: OSGeo Live. Linux vs Windows.

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 12:17:06 PDT 2011

Pedro,

Thank you so much for sending this email. Based on your questions, I
think that you are exactly the sort of person we have been creating the
LiveDVD for, and hence your questions are very enlightening and
highlight holes that we have in our documentation as we don't describe
the differences between Windows and Linux, and what is and is not
achievable.

With your permission, I'm CCing the OSGeo-Live list, as I think we have
a lot to learn from your question.

On 29/03/2011 9:00 PM, Pedro Machado Monteiro wrote:
> Good morning Cameron:
>
> Your message about Version 4.5 of the OSGeo was sent to GvSig mailing
> lists, and so I could read it.
>
> Theese questions may be stupid, as I dont know much about operating
> systems and computers, but it would be even more stupid not to ask:

The questions are indeed common amongst windows users who are not
familiar with linux (which is a lot of people, and a large portion of
our target audience).
So I'm glad you have asked.

> a) is it possible to run [the programs included in] OSGeo Live (DVD or
> USB pen) on a Windows PC (XP, Vista, or 7) ?

Most of the programs on OSGeo-Live are available with installers for
both windows and linux. The OSGeo-Live DVD provides the software on
linux. We have included some of the windows and mac installers on the
LiveDVD as well (you can see a link to it from the main documentation page).

> b) if so, is it possible to save in the PC hard disk, an use - or
> convert - in a Windows environment, the data files created with those
> programs ? For instance, if I create a /shp/ with any of those
> programs (v.g GvSig) can I save and read and use that shape with GvSig
> or ArcGis for Windows ?

Yes you can create files on linux, then copy the files to windows and
view them in the same, or another application on windows. Or at least
you can in theory. As with anything, you should check to confirm there
are not any minor differences between the way different applications
save files.

> c) is it possible to use - or convert - with [the programs included
> in] OSGeo Live (DVD or USB pen) the data files created with equivalent
> programs in a Windows environment (shapes or rasters, for instance) ?

Yes, same answer as for b)