[Live-demo] Thinking about OSGeo-Live 5.0 (the FOSS4G 2011 release)

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun May 1 15:56:23 PDT 2011

As per our schedule [1], it is now time to start our planning for our
next osgeo-live 5.0 release.

Before I put out a general press release, I'm interested to hear ideas
on what we should focus on for this upcoming release.

My thoughts are:
* We have quickstarts for all (bar one) of our projects now, however we
haven't had extensive review of all these quickstarts yet. I'd like to
see critical review of all quickstarts this time around.

* Many of the documents are translated to varying levels of
completeness. It would be great to see that consolidated in this release.

* As always, we will probably get a couple more projects included.

* Toward the end of the last release cycle, there was discussion about
the licence of osgeo-live documentation, and the DVD itself. I'd like to
see that discussed and resolved.

* Since we have quickstarts, it would be achievable for someone to
record each quickstart, as a short video. This would be quite a bit of
work, but very achievable for someone who is highly motivated.

* I'm noticing that many of our project contacts are not keeping up with
this osgeo-live email list, which is understandable as it has become
quite busy and people are not monitoring day-to-day activities. I'd like
to start a low traffic announce email list, specifically for announcing
our key milestones (primarily for advertising our press releases).

* What else should we be thinking about and focusing on?

[1]
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al9zh8DjmU_RdE1SYUN3YWJ2N1NpSUczbW9IRWZNclE&hl=en_GB#gid=0