[Live-demo] Thinking about OSGeo-Live 5.0 (the FOSS4G 2011 release)

maplabs at light42.com maplabs at light42.com
Sun May 1 16:47:08 PDT 2011

Hi Cameron, All-

 first and foremost, thank you for the planning and all around diligence

All of those points listed  are documentation or license related..
One inevitable condition of the participants here is that we all "see"
this large, multi-layered  thing from our own vantage points

PostGIS / Natural Earth

As you know I have been focusing on Postgis, Natural Earth data
and a few of the apps that are particulalry useful for dealing with those..

The Natural Earth data set is excellent, and, is not used by its
authors in the
way the OSGeo tools use it.. so I had written some 'cleaning' functions
using PostGIS 2.0 beta, and in fact, the current script fetches a pre-
cleaned, selected set of layers, not the raw Natural Earth set itself.
There is more that can be done with that.. I want to reach out to Dane
Springmeyer, as I noticed he was doing some similar geometry cleaning
on his own in a script on GitHub

 PostGIS 2.0 is in the works, and that will raise more than a couple of
issues in itself. Compatability is quite good though.. I want to understand
how the "packages only" policy will apply, as packaging always lags...

FOSS4G

  I imagine things will be very active in preparation for FOSS4G
It will be good to see the LiveDVD used by presenters, and also
a very big chance to get feedback from the core constituency

  I am susceptible to overload, so it will be good to get the LiveDVD
in order and freeze.. and then subsequently, have a strategy for a
"live" Live,
  that can take the inevitable last minute requests and such.. Since that is
so important, I think it should  be given ample time and
attention allocations..

I noticed there is a proposed talk at FOSS4G about "turning the LiveDVD
into a server".. however, I also noticed that there are about 5x more proposed
talks than there is time for.. so no idea if that will be presented

I want to mention again that  MapGuide is disproportionally big

GeoServer finally fixed their KML issue, so that will be good..
to have a newer GeoServer and maybe some layers preset

Desktop Image for FOSS4G 2011 release

  As you know, I am working on a desktop design.. I want to be clear about
when people want to see entries, and how a final design will be picked from
whatever entries there are...

Scripting

  There was some talk amongst the install scripters about
standardiznig on some
available shell variables, and rewriting the install scripts to depend
on them..
It would make some shaky things tighter.. but, its a lot of work.. TBD

GDAL / OGR

  GDAL continues to make amazing strides.. (I gather so is Java GeoTools,
but I dont know about that first-hand)  It remains to be seen how to best
apply GDAL/OGR advances, and how that fits into a "beginners" disk

Installers vs. Digital Earth

  There is some inevitable tension in the choices made on what to include and
what to hilight.  I am in the camp that "Digital Earth" is very
important, with
INSPIRE and other topics..  On another hand, there is also the evangelism
of FOSS GIS itself, and what OSGeo has to offer.. With limited disk space
on one disk and a large audience, the editorial descisions are important..

anyway, thats a bit off the top of my head
  -Brian

==
Brian Hamlin
planetwork.net
OSGeo California Chapter
(415) 717-4462 cell

As per our schedule [1], it is now time to start our planning for our