[Live-demo] Thinking about OSGeo-Live 5.0 (the FOSS4G 2011 release)

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon May 2 16:05:47 PDT 2011

Brian,
Comments inline.

On 2/05/2011 9:47 AM, maplabs at light42.com wrote:
> Hi Cameron, All-
>
>  first and foremost, thank you for the planning and all around diligence
>
> All of those points listed  are documentation or license related.. One
> inevitable condition of the participants here is that we all "see"
> this large, multi-layered  thing from our own vantage points

Yes, and I see that as one of our strengths, in that we get a much more
robust product due to the multiple ideas and different perspectives
everyone brings to the project.

> PostGIS / Natural Earth
>
> As you know I have been focusing on Postgis, Natural Earth data
> and a few of the apps that are particulalry useful for dealing with
> those..
> The Natural Earth data set is excellent, and, is not used by its
> authors in the
> way the OSGeo tools use it.. so I had written some 'cleaning' functions
> using PostGIS 2.0 beta, and in fact, the current script fetches a pre-
> cleaned, selected set of layers, not the raw Natural Earth set itself.
> There is more that can be done with that.. I want to reach out to Dane
> Springmeyer, as I noticed he was doing some similar geometry cleaning
> on his own in a script on GitHub

I suggest that we look to find who has a vested interest in these tasks,
and then collectively define a valuable and achievable set of goals for
the next release.
I'm willing to help facilitate this if there is sufficient interest.

>  PostGIS 2.0 is in the works, and that will raise more than a couple of
> issues in itself. Compatability is quite good though.. I want to
> understand
> how the "packages only" policy will apply, as packaging always lags...
> FOSS4G
>
>   I imagine things will be very active in preparation for FOSS4G
> It will be good to see the LiveDVD used by presenters, and also
> a very big chance to get feedback from the core constituency
>
>   I am susceptible to overload, so it will be good to get the LiveDVD
> in order and freeze.. and then subsequently, have a strategy for a
> "live" Live,
>  that can take the inevitable last minute requests and such.. Since
> that is
> so important, I think it should  be given ample time and
> attention allocations..
> I noticed there is a proposed talk at FOSS4G about "turning the LiveDVD
> into a server"

I've heard a couple of people talking about an OSGeo-Live Server
release. Maybe 5.0 will be the first opportunity to deploy it.  Lets see
who is interested.

> .. however, I also noticed that there are about 5x more proposed
> talks than there is time for.. so no idea if that will be presented
>
> I want to mention again that  MapGuide is disproportionally big

Conserving disk space will need to be a key theme for this release. I'm
thinking we will need to remove windows installers from the DVD release,
but that is open for discussion.

> GeoServer finally fixed their KML issue, so that will be good.. to
> have a newer GeoServer and maybe some layers preset
>
> Desktop Image for FOSS4G 2011 release
>
>   As you know, I am working on a desktop design.. I want to be clear
> about
> when people want to see entries, and how a final design will be picked
> from
> whatever entries there are...

I've raised mentioned to the FOSS4G 2011 committee that they may be
interested in preparing the background image and sleeve design based
upon the FOSS4G 2011 and OSGeo-Live themes.
Lets include them in discussions.

> Scripting
>
>   There was some talk amongst the install scripters about
> standardiznig on some
> available shell variables, and rewriting the install scripts to depend
> on them.. It would make some shaky things tighter.. but, its a lot of
> work.. TBD

This would be valuable. If it is to be done, then it is best to do early
in the release cycle (within the next 3 to 4 weeks).
Conventions should be stored in our wiki, somewhere near:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Packaging_conventions

> GDAL / OGR
>
>   GDAL continues to make amazing strides.. (I gather so is Java GeoTools,
> but I dont know about that first-hand)  It remains to be seen how to best
> apply GDAL/OGR advances, and how that fits into a "beginners" disk

We introduced GDAL/OGR into the last release and described how to use it
from the command line.
As far as I'm aware, GeoTools doesn't have a command line interface, but
I think it would be valuable to include a "Project Overview" doc for
each of the OSGeo supported libraries, especially if it is included in
one of the packages on the DVD.

> Installers vs. Digital Earth
>
>   There is some inevitable tension in the choices made on what to
> include and
> what to hilight.  I am in the camp that "Digital Earth" is very
> important, with
> INSPIRE and other topics..  On another hand, there is also the evangelism
> of FOSS GIS itself, and what OSGeo has to offer.. With limited disk space
> on one disk and a large audience, the editorial descisions are
> important..
> anyway, thats a bit off the top of my head

Are you pondering whether we provide priority to Data over Applications,
or visa-versa?
My feeling is that the focus on OSGeo-Live is in promoting applications.
We need to provide sufficient data to demonstrate these applications
effectively. However, I don't see OSGeo-Live as being a data-centric
distribution. Maybe someone will wish to create a branch of OSGeo-Live
with a data-centric focus.