[Live-demo] Cleaning Natural Earth data

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat May 14 14:05:17 PDT 2011

On 02/05/11 09:47, maplabs at light42.com wrote:
> PostGIS / Natural Earth
>
> As you know I have been focusing on Postgis, Natural Earth data
> and a few of the apps that are particulalry useful for dealing with
> those..
> The Natural Earth data set is excellent, and, is not used by its
> authors in the
> way the OSGeo tools use it.. so I had written some 'cleaning' functions
> using PostGIS 2.0 beta, and in fact, the current script fetches a pre-
> cleaned, selected set of layers, not the raw Natural Earth set itself.
> There is more that can be done with that.. I want to reach out to Dane
> Springmeyer, as I noticed he was doing some similar geometry cleaning
> on his own in a script on GitHub

Nathaniel,
Brian has suggested in the email above that the geospatial applications
which use the Natural Earth dataset would be improved if the data was
"cleaned".

 From my packaging point of view, it would be my preference to see these
improvements rolled back into the core Natural Earth dataset.

I'm interested to hear thoughts on what needs to be done, whether the
cleaning is considered desirable for all involved, and if so, what is
required to make it happen.

My suspicion is that the process of cleaning should be included in the
Natural Earth production process. People like Brian, with experience
with data cleaning could potentially describe the process which would
allow others to follow it.

Geospatial Director