[Live-demo] USB of Live-demo . . . (using MINI version)

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon May 23 14:13:47 PDT 2011

On 24/05/11 02:21, Bob Basques wrote:

> All,
>

> So looked around the LIVE-DVD some.  Is it to be assumed that I should
> use my own data for demoing and/or data that already exists on the
> DVD?  I would like to do both if possible, but either or is ok as well.

We are space and memory constrained on the OSGeo-Live DVD, and many of
our packaging decisions revolve around these limitations.

So we strongly encourage projects to use the provided example set.
Details here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Example_Datasets

> Where are all the datasets?  Are they all together somewhere?
>

> Thanks
>

> bobb

> All,
>

> New topic . . .
>

> I noticed that only Firefox (3.6.15) is installed.  Any plans to
> include other browsers (as well as FF4.x, which I know will break some
> things).

No, we only provide one browser due to memory constraints.

> bobb

> Alex,
>

> Ok, so I got the MINI version to boot.
>

> Some quicky notes:
>

> **  Interesting that multiple monitors are set to mirror by default.  :c)
>
> **  I have Ubuntu at home, where the heck are the Display settings  .
> . . . Probably a newbie question . . .

Xubuntu is our default.
If you are looking to change display size, it is described under
"Increase Display Size" here:
http://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/virtualbox_quickstart.html

> bobb

> On 05/13/2011 07:37 AM, Bob Basques wrote:
> >
> > All,
> >
> > trying to build a bootable USB stick.  Working from here:
> >
> > http://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/usb_quickstart.html
> >
> > The suggested option for osgeo-live image is "xubuntu 10.04 Desktop
> i386"
> >
> > The USB installer has been upgraded it seems and ubuntu 11.04
> options exist.  question should I generally try to use a newer
> version, or stick with the 10.04 version as indicated in the link above?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > bobb
> >

> I assume you're trying to build on windows?
> You will want to follow the instructions as written and pick 10.04 since
> that is the version that OSGeo Live 4.5 is based on.
>
> Looks like we did miss updating that page to list 4.5 instead of 4.0.
>
> Also make sure to use the "mini" image to make a usb stick there is a
> known bug in the full iso that may cause it not boot which we haven't
> had a chance to fix yet.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Geospatial Director