[Live-demo] Setting up list of to-dos for GeoMoose install on LiveDVD

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Thu May 26 14:27:39 PDT 2011

Cameron (and others),

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use the Natural Earth data no matter what, since it will be perfect for seeing the different packages side by side.  But the GeoMoose demos emphasize a Local Municipality use process that I don't believe the Natural Earth dataset can fill in for entirely.   The Web Mercator demo is emphasizing the ability to pull in layers from many potentially different data sources, while not as easy to argue away, it's been a mainstay of the GeoMoose demos for a long time.

Personally I believe there needs to be a set of data for various levels of resolution as a global set, and I don't see the GE datasets filling this need entirely (yet), Maybe the GeoMoose datasets can be used in some of this capacity.  The reason I thought of putting them into their own containers (folders) was to provide a flexibility for others to use if they so desired.  They can also be easily removed in the future.  I'm also planning on building separate Viewers for each, but I can also build a composite viewer.  Each of these using a single frontend jump page (index.html) to get to.

In the end, I (or the reviewers) can pull any of these "extras" out after the fact if the review of these "extras" fails to impress.  :c)

I thought of another question to ask the group as well.  Are there any plans to include more than one browser, or even more than one version of a particular browser?  I've been wondering about Firefox 4 and Chrome for example, because of the WebGL and HTML5 things that can be demonstrated in them.

bobb

>>> Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:

Bob,
I think answers to most of your questions are here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Directory_Structure

Let us know if not, and we should find out and update our wiki.
Basically, we are following Ubuntu packaging conventions.
A few extra comments below. Hamish may correct me on some packaging comments.

Alan, Alex may be able to help on mapserver questions.