Fwd: Re: [Live-demo] What common datasets do we need?

Simon Cropper (The fosGIS Workflow Guides) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Thu May 26 18:58:12 PDT 2011

Hi,

I am new to this list. I have registered today to follow the
conversation regarding use of data on the LiveDVD. I am actively
involved in the gvSIG community  and have been on the OSGeo-Discuss and
Education lists for a while.

I would like to make the following comments on what Alex said ...

Before I do this however I would like to preface my comments with the
statement "Acquisition of appropriate and suitably licensed geospatial
data for education purposes is a big issue and was the primary reason
for my project (http://gis.fossworkflowguides.com) stalling for close to
a year". So, my comments are not flippant remarks rather observations
based on over a year of experience in doing what is proposed here.

 > The problem we haven't tackled is how to make the context local to the
 > conference each year.

Is this really necessary?

My expectation would be to have 'typical' data for each of the major
regions of the world (Europe, USA, Oceania, Africa, ...). The greater
the variety - both in resolution, data type, projects, etc the greater
the potential of engaging new users.

I think the effort required to acquire data for each conference would be
overwhelming. It took me many many months to negotiate data out of the
Victoria Government. It would be a full time job for a volunteer to do
this for every upcoming conference.

 > What I'd like to see is a list of the type of data people want, so that
 > we can try to find data that meets those needs ...

I agree. It would be good to approach the broader osgeo community to
decide on some focal points and desired datasets (regions, CRS, data
type, resolution, theme). Maybe a poll would be a good way of doing this.

OTHER THOUGHTS

Something else that might be worth pursuing. When a conference is
planned I presume various people put their hand up for the privilege.
Why can't OSGeo make it a prerequisite of getting the conference that
some 'typical' data be supplied.

Tutorials take time to create. Consequently most get made once and are
rarely updated -- especially as the shear logistics of updating a file
puts most people off. If you changed your datasets for each conference
it is implied that you would update all your tutorials so the images
presented reflect these datasets, otherwise why acquire new data? As
noted, it is very rare to see derivatives of any type for educational
material. Updating every quickstart and introduction document every time
there is a conference is quite an effort. Assuming also that you would
need to wait until all the legalities are resolved before production is
started, that gives the people creating the derivatives even less time
to prepare/update the documents.

I believe, legalities aside, that any tutorial reflect typical user
tasks on typical data, and that this data is readily available for any
reader to download and experiment on. If a particular package is
typically used to make world maps then use world data, if a package is
typically used to create 1:1000 to 1:25000 maps then data relevant to
that scale should be available. Each project needs to define a usage
profile and data acquired so suitable tutorials can be developed.

Sorry for chiming in unannounced.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper