Fwd: Re: [Live-demo] What common datasets do we need?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu May 26 17:27:40 PDT 2011

We do have OSM for that reason (amongst others). From what I understand
people are looking for things like AirPhoto, Satellite data at the scale
of a few km or miles. Maybe a DEM, and some data for interpolation type
uses.

The problem we haven't tackled is how to make the context local to the
conference each year. It's no problem with OSM because that's
everywhere, but NAIP (1m Airphoto of the US) is not. If we can settle on
something from Landsat, MODIS or another of the public domain satellites
then we could setup some auto processing to get that on. Could also do
SRTM for elevation, though I think OSSIM might already do that?

What I'd like to see is a list of the type of data people want, so that
we can try to find data that meets those needs and easily replace with
more local stuff each year when the conference moves.