[Live-demo] What common datasets do we need?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri May 27 12:38:52 PDT 2011

Bobb,

I think you're starting to get into the territory of another OSGeo
initiative http://www.osgeo.org/geodata . I don't know if that mailing
list/committee is interested working on a public data DVD but you can ask.

For the OSGeo Live we are focused on making sure it has the bare minimum
data needed to demonstrate the functionality of the software.
To that extent I think we really only need basics, a few point, line,
polygon, raster, elevation, lidar data sets covers most of the apps.
I'm trying to make sure we cover that, hence the discussion that some
projects are looking for inclusion of small area, high resolution raster
data sets for inclusion. We already have a matching vector set in the
OSM data which includes plenty of points, lines, polygons and if you ran
the right queries could be split into many thematic layers similar to
the municipality type layers.

You are always welcome to make a custom version, it takes a few hours to
get the hang of it or there are some alternate methods. In the past I've
made a custom DVD at the build time, or I've just edited the iso after
the fact to remove some of the installers and park some data in their
place, or lately in my tutorials I use in classes/workshops the first
step is to download the data I've put online somewhere for the students.