[Live-demo] Getting OSGeo-Live Quickstart writing guidelines right

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue May 31 15:15:53 PDT 2011

On 05/31/2011 01:54 PM, Ian Turton wrote:
> On 31 May 2011 16:50, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 01/06/11 00:07, Bob Basques wrote:
>>
>> One thought here, I know the end result tends to be larger files, but I've
>> had very good success with providing flash movies of screen recordings for
>> documentation.  These seem to go over fairly well with the users, as they
>> can start and pause during a process as they follow along.
>>
>> Bob, yes I like the idea. I think videos would be the next logical step
>> after writing quickstarts. The first step would be to set out simple
>> guidelines on our recommended way to create a video (which I expect should
>> be running of the Quickstart docs?).
>> If you like, you can take a first cut of this by adding to the end of:
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project . (Follow a similar level of
>> detail to the doc writing guidelines on the same page)
>>

> I have had good results using Jing to create that sort of video.
>
> Ian

>From within the virtual machine, GTK-recordmydesktop works well, though
I can't recall if it records audio too. It would be great to do them in
OGG Theora/Vorbis to start and then convert to other formats as needed.
I envision using HTML5 video on the web end eventually, which could mean
some videos on the DVD. Uploading to a video hosting site for now works
in the meantime.