[Live-demo] Re: Fwd: OSGEO Live 5 USB Distribution testing

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Nov 23 21:47:15 PST 2011

It would not include the OS, it would be binaries that run inside a
user's existing windows install.

FYI, there was a project that accomplished much of this a few years ago
by Jo Cook called Portable GIS. However it required quite a bit of
registry and dll tweaking to get everything to work without install and
didn't necessarily work without admin permissions on the guest system. I
have never seen the notes on how it was done publicly available. The
mailing list has also been silent for more than a year.

I've also attempted what Tyler mentioned but never got Qemu or
VirtualBox working without admin permission either, and was under the
less stringent XP security.

I don't consider the install of most FOSSGIS applications on windows to
be hard, that is unless you want them integrated. Postgis is
straightforward, standalone QGIS, anything JAVA, all the small stuff...

I'd also want osgeo4w up'd to python 2.7 and a 64 bit port available
before something like we're discussing.

That said, I encourage any project that wants, to create a portableapps
compatible build of their application.