[Live-demo] Hot Swapping Datasets

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 12:16:09 PDT 2011

Bob,
I'm very wary of anything to do with hot-swapping datasets.

One of the main pillar stones of OSGeo-Live is quality, which is
achieved by systematic testing, re-testing, then testing again, year
after year. We now have years and years of testing of applications
behind us.

Hot swapping a base dataset invalidates the testing for all applications
which use that dataset, and consequently is highly likely to introduce
errors - something we are strong wishing to avoid.

Yes, I agree that it is really nice to make use of a local dataset, and
someone may wish to do so for one specific example for one specific
application, which you test yourself. But I strongly urge you not to
change a dataset for all applications as you either compromise the
quality of OSGeo-Live, or you are up for many man months worth of
testing and issue resolution.