[Live-demo] Hot Swapping Datasets

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Fri Oct 14 12:26:39 PDT 2011

Cameron (and others),

I'm still thinking this is worth the effort at some point.  The easier the process is to make a local datseta available inside of the apps, the (VERY much) more likely, the app will come off in good standing with the testers.

Is this possibly a separate tool that I'm talking about, that could be used after the fact on the LiveDVD?  With the sample data all tweaked to similar locations and by adding a Data installer script . . .

bobb

>>> Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:

Bob,
I'm very wary of anything to do with hot-swapping datasets.

One of the main pillar stones of OSGeo-Live is quality, which is achieved by systematic testing, re-testing, then testing again, year after year. We now have years and years of testing of applications behind us.

Hot swapping a base dataset invalidates the testing for all applications which use that dataset, and consequently is highly likely to introduce errors - something we are strong wishing to avoid.

Yes, I agree that it is really nice to make use of a local dataset, and someone may wish to do so for one specific example for one specific application, which you test yourself. But I strongly urge you not to change a dataset for all applications as you either compromise the quality of OSGeo-Live, or you are up for many man months worth of testing and issue resolution.