[Live-demo] GEOS Overview

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 03:46:51 PDT 2012

Frank,
I've reviewed your Geos Overview. It looks pretty good. I've made a few
changes, nothing too major.

One thing I wish to check is the "Implemented Standards", which I've
introduced.
Are we right to add the following:

Implemented Standards

     OpenGIS Simple Features for SQL spatial predicate functions and
spatial operators

You can see all my suggested changes here:
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/changeset?new=7809%40livedvd%2Fgisvm%2Ftrunk%2Fdoc%2Fen%2Foverview%2Fgeos_overview.rst&old=7808%40livedvd%2Fgisvm%2Ftrunk%2Fdoc%2Fen%2Foverview%2Fgeos_overview.rst

Frank, do you have suggestions for a GEOS image?

I've copied the HTML below for easy reading:

  GEOS

    Spatial Library

GEOS (Geometry Engine - Open Source) is a C++ port of the Java Topology
Suite (JTS) <http://www.vividsolutions.com/jts/JTSHome.htm>. It includes
the OpenGIS Simple Features for SQL spatial predicate functions and
spatial operators, as well as specific JTS enhanced topology functions.

GEOS is the most widely used geospatial C++ geometry library, being used
by open source projects such as /PostGIS/
<cid:part2.05050505.01010906 at gmail.com>, /QGIS/
<cid:part3.00080201.00080102 at gmail.com>, /GDAL/OGR/
<cid:part4.07050107.04040400 at gmail.com> and /MapServer/
<cid:part5.01070008.09090500 at gmail.com>, and by proprietary products
including FME <http://www.safe.com/fme/fme-technology/>.

      Implemented Standards

  * OpenGIS Simple Features for SQL spatial predicate functions and
    spatial operators

      Core Features

  * Geometries: Point, LineString, Polygon, MultiPoint, MultiLineString,
    MultiPolygon, GeometryCollection
  * Predicates: Intersects, Touches, Disjoint, Crosses, Within,
    Contains, Overlaps, Equals, Covers
  * Operations: Union, Distance, Intersection, Symmetric Difference,
    Convex Hull, Envelope, Buffer, Simplify, Polygon Assembly, Valid,
    Area, Length,
  * Prepared geometries (pre-spatially indexed)
  * STR spatial index
  * OGC Well Known Text (WKT) and Well Known Binary (WKB) encoders and
    decoders.
  * C and C++ API (C API gives long term ABI stability)
  * Thread safe (using the reentrant API)

      Details

*Website:* http://geos.osgeo.org/

*Licence:* LGPL

*Software Version:* 3.3.2

*Supported Platforms:* Windows, Linux, Mac

*API Interfaces:* C, C++

http://www.osgeo.org/search_profile