[Live-demo] OSGeoLive6.0 RC1 is out

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 17 15:17:25 PDT 2012

Angelos wrote:
> > After installing rc1 to a VBox machine, all applications run fine.
> > CPU usage is a bit high on VBox installation too.
Alex:
> Can you take a look at top or ps -A to see what might be eating up
> lots of cpu? I wonder if mysql is running in the background the
> whole time.

fyi the problem I was having with that a couple of betas ago I tracked
down to being a VM smp problem. I was telling kvm to give it two cpus,
and dmesg in the VM was showing that linux had a problem with that and
so was treating them like two physical cpus instead of 2 cores of the
same, and using a huge amount of kernel overhead passing data between
the two of them the hard way. Running 'top' showed that 30-50% of the
system load was due to 'wa'iting for the kernel. Going back to one cpu
in the VM setup fixed that problem, but of course made things like bootup
run a little slower.  maybe if I told qemu/kvm the cpu type to emulate
(go native) it would be happier?

when using in a VM (typically tunneled over 'ssh -C') the first things I
do are shut off the compositor (settings->advanced window manger settings)
and set the background image to a solid color. lots less to pipe through
that way. If I knew how to make that version of xfce only show the window
border while moving or resizing I'd do that too.

> FYI, Full iso is built and ready for testing. We might need to comment
> out 1-2 Win/Mac apps on the final build to make sure the ISO isn't too
> big.

we should run the dpkg query for package size + sort from main.sh to make
sure no big new packages or now-redundant old now didn't get newly stranded
on the disc. (otherwise, what grew from the last full-iso test?)

> Mini iso also available at this link (North American server)
>
> http://live.osgeo.org/dev/build

thanks,

Hamish