[Live-demo] OSGeo Live handling

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 11:00:08 PDT 2012

Dear Peter,

Indeed this was a difficult release, basically due to openjdk and the last
minute change of build method. I want to congratulate all contributors for
their hard work.

A couple of thoughts:

I agree that team distribution makes things a bit slower in response times
and harder to coordinate. On the other hand, having the team distributed
helps supporting the community through the mailing lists and IRC all 24
hours.

Having a daily meeting (20:30 UTC) during the last weeks before release
helped very much to coordinate our efforts. Many contributors  managed to
be present for the meetings, especially when a bug was to be fixed, so
perhaps we should make this a weekly meeting now that the release is done.

The solution to the last minute pressure perhaps will come from the new
build system:
We can now automate builds to be done daily, weekly or anything in between.
This will give a chance to all projects included to evaluate their
installation script during the release cycle. This of course will work if
all projects step up and periodically take some time to check current
builds for errors and failures of their software. If not, again we will try
fixing things at the last minute...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it is a good start to evaluate the way we
work and how we can do better.

Regards,
Angelos

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Peter Baumann <
p.baumann at jacobs-university.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> also my congratulations to the new OSGeo Live version - a unbelievable
> amount of work has been investigated by the team, as well as the project
> contributors. We will certainly contribute to getting it out to the crowd
> on several occasions coming up.
>
> For the next iteration, we might consider a planning that saves some rush.
> Project teams like us are distributed over this planet and living in
> different time zones - so while it is high noon for some activist others
> might not be able to respond when it is past midnight in their place.
> Further, we all have our tons of daily obligations and, hence, may not be
> able to answer instantaneously. We might consider this, although I know -
> oh so well - the difficult balance between patience and pushing the team.
>
> my 2 cents - and again, kudos to the team!
> -Peter
>
> --
> Dr. Peter Baumann
>  - Professor of Computer Science, Jacobs University Bremen
>    www.faculty.jacobs-university.**de/pbaumann<http://www.faculty.jacobs-university.de/pbaumann>
>    mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
>    tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
>  - Executive Director, rasdaman GmbH Bremen (HRB 26793)
>    www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
>    tel: 0800-rasdaman, fax: 0800-rasdafax, mobile: +49-173-5837882
> "Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis
> ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli
> destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD
> 1083)

Angelos Tzotsos
Remote Sensing Laboratory
National Technical University of Athens