[Live-demo] OSGeo Live CD / Cartaro

Patric Hafner [geops.de] patric.hafner at geops.de
Sun Dec 9 15:24:42 PST 2012

Dear Members of the OSGeo mailing list,

we would like to request the integration of "Cartaro Geospatial CMS" to
the next OSGeo Live CD. The completed questionnaire is part of this email.

Some month ago, Cameron Shorter contacted us. From the very first we
liked the idea to be part of OSGeo Live CD. Now we are convinced Cartaro
is stable enough for OSGeo Live CD.

As the milestones for next release are very close, we already prepared
install scripts and documentation according the guidelines in the wiki.
After your decision is made, we can commit very quickly.

We are looking forward to receiving your positive reply and we hope to
be part of the project.

With best regards,

Patric Hafner

--
geOps e.K.
--------------------------------
Handelsregister A 702785, Amtsgericht Freiburg
Kaiser-Joseph-Strasse 263
D-79098 Freiburg
Germany
--------------------------------
fon     +49 761 503 126 91
fax     +49 761 503 126 94
--------------------------------
free service calls from D and CH
       00800 436 436 436
--------------------------------
web www.geops.de
rss www.geops.de/blog/feed
follow www.twitter.com/geops_tweet
--------------------------------

OSGeo-Questions
Please describe your application.

- What is its name?
Cartaro

- What is the home page URL?
http://cartaro.org

- Which OSI approved Open Source Licence is used?
GPL v2

- What does the application do and how does it add value to the
GeoSpatial stack of software?
Cartaro is the web mapping platform that brings the power of the best
open source geospatial components into a content management system. With
Cartaro you are able to set-up and run your own geo-enabled and OGC
standards-compliant website with not more than a few clicks. The
geospatial components used in Cartaro are PostGIS, GeoServer,
GeoWebCache and OpenLayers. All those are managed from within the
powerful CMS Drupal.
Cartaro is for organisations and individuals that need to run a
light-weight spatial data infrastructure (SDI) without the need for
extensive configurations and much individual programming.
Cartaro is also for all websites that focus on CMS features while also
having to handle geospatial data.
Most functions needed for a SDI come right out of the box through the
close integration of Drupal with PostGIS and GeoServer.
The main features of Cartaro are:
* Spatial data storage with true geometry data types
* Creation of data types from within the Drupal GUI
* Integrated online editing of geospatial data
* Data publishing with integrated maps
* Configuration of map layouts and behaviors
* Symbol styling
* Data publishing through OGC standards-compliant web services (OWS)
like WMS and WFS
* High performance map output through GeoWebCache
* Transparent privilege handling and security for all spatial data
* Content publication workflow and revision moderation
* Basic metadata collection through access to GeoServer-GUI
* Full extensibility through thousands of Drupal modules or individual
programming

- Does the application make use of OGC standards? Which versions of the
standards? Client or server? You may wish to add comments about how
standards are used.
Cartaro makes use of OGC standards on the client and on the server by
integrating GeoServer and OpenLayers. In particular WMS 1.1.1 and WFS
1.0 are supported.

-What language is it written in?
Mostly PHP as well as JavaScript and Java.

-Which version of the application should be included in the next
OSGeo-Live release?
1.0-beta3

---------------
Stability

Stability is very important to us on OSGeo-Live. If a new user finds a
bug in one application, it will tarnish the reputation of all other
OSGeo-Live applications as well. (We pay most attention to the following
answers):

- If risk adverse organisations have deployed your application into
production, it would imply that these organisations have verified the
stability of your software. Has the application been rolled out to
production into risk (ideally risk adverse) organisations? Please
mention some of these organisations?
Cartaro has been used for lots of small non-profit projects so far. A
large international company currently started using Cartaro for production

- What is the size of the user community? You can often answer this by
mentioning downloads, or describing a healthy, busy email list?
Cartaro has been downloaded almost 2000 times since spring 2012.

- What is the size of your developer community?
About 5-10 developers.

- Do you have a bug free, stable release?
Cartaro is almost ready for a release candidate.

- Please discuss the level of testing that your project has gone through.
Cartaro has gone through multiple beta releases tested by a large user
base. All bugs reported are being fixed within short time, usually after
not more than three days. For all development we use continuous
integration with extensive unit tests in order to reduce the risk of
bugs. Code quality is guaranteed by subjecting Cartaro to the quality
assurance workflow of the Drupal community.

- How long has the project has had mature code.
Since summer 2012 the core parts of Cartaro haven't changed much and can
be declared as mature code.

---------

Other

- OSGeo-Live is targeted at applications that people can use rather than
libraries. Does the application have a user interface (possibly a
command line interface) that a user can interact with? (We do make an
exception for Incubated OSGeo Libraries, and will include Project
Overviews for these libraries, even if they don't have a user interface.)
Cartaro has a web-based user interface that builds upon and is
integrated into the user interface of Drupal

- We give preference to OSGeo Incubated Projects, or Projects which are
presented at FOSS4G conferences. If your project is involved in OSGeo
Incubation, or has been selected to be presented at FOSS4G, then please
mention it.
Cartaro is not yet involved in OSGeo Incubation. Cartaro has an abstract
submitted for FOSSGIS 2013, the german-speaking OS GIS conference.
Participation at one of the next FOSS4G conferences is planned.

- With around 50 applications installed on OSGeo-Live, us core packagers
do not have the time to liaise with every single project email list for
each OSGeo-Live release. So we require a volunteer (or two) to take
responsibility for liaising between OSGeo-Live and the project's
communities. This volunteer will be responsible for ensuring the install
scripts and English documentation are updated by someone for each
OSGeo-Live release. Also test that the installed application and
Quickstart documentation works as expected on release candidate releases
of OSGeo-Live. Who will act as the project's liaison person.
Contact persons are Patric Hafner <patric.hafner at geops.de> and Friedjoff
Trautwein <friedjoff.trautwein at geops.de>

- OSGeo-Live is Ubuntu Linux based. Our installation preference is:
Write a custom install script

- Can you please discuss how your application will be installed.
Download of tar - Archive and setup via drush (PHP-based Drupal Installer)

- OSGeo-Live is memory and disk constrained. Can the application run in
512 Meg of RAM?
Yes, without any problems.

- How much disk space will be required to install the application and a
suitable example application?
about 70MB

- Each OSGeo-Live application requires a Project Overview available
under a CC By and a Quickstart available under a CC By-SA license. (You
may release under a second license as well). Will you produce this?
Yes

- In past releases, we have included Windows and Mac installers for some
applications. It is likely we won't have space for these in future
releases. However, if there is room, would you be wishing to include
Windows and/or Mac installers?
No