[Live-demo] Re: Missing "Geospatial" pull down menu

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Feb 10 14:41:26 PST 2012

On 02/10/2012 12:20 PM, Hamish wrote:
> Cameron wrote:
>> Hamish,
>> Are you aware that in osgeolive5.5b3, we don't have a
>> "Geospatial" tab in the top tool bar, which opens up the
>> pull down list of applications, as per:
>> http://live.osgeo.org/_images/osgeolive_menu.png
>
> yes, see ticket #855
>    https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/855
>

>> Do you know how to fix this?
>
> Alex might. Before digging into any changes, a possible work-around is to
> not auto-login as 'user' upon first raw xubuntu boot, then ctrl-alt-f1
> to a tty login, start gnu `screen`, and run the dvd build from there.
> then only log in as 'user' once all the updated xfce scripts are in place.
>
> hopefully we can make the already-installed menu change, but it might
> be that changes are overwritten when 'user' logs out from xfce if it
> is logged in to a session during build.
>
> an alternative to ctrl-alt-f1 is to change the session login type to
> fwm or fluxbox or something minimal to do the build, instead of trying to
> have xfce do brain surgery on itself while it's still awake.
>

> Hamish

What I had been doing was logging into the setup Xubuntu, bringing it up
to date with apt. Then rebooting. On reboot instead of auto-login, I
would change the session to a Terminal session(it has a drop down with
options) and run the install from there. So I wasn't logged into XFCE
desktop while running the build.
Hence why I think the script had been working.