[Live-demo] Fwd: [SpatiaLite-Users] Re: Spatialite database on OSGeo Live DVD

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 17 19:19:09 PST 2012

Cameron wrote:
> Re Datasets: We have run out of room on the OSGeo-Live DVD, so
> anything we add requires us to take something else off.

how is beta5's iso doing for space btw? I managed to shave 40mb
from grass's install, if Micha can get the spatialite data
down to 5mb from 45 that would help too.

I'm going to have to make the call on keeping MB-System on or
off very soon. I never heard back from MapGuide and their old
install script is not working on Natty, so they're not an option.

> Consequently, we strongly encourage all applications to make
> use of the existing common datasets already installed on
> OSGeoLive.

(with the caveat that when practicable, recognizing that
shapefiles and geotiffs don't work as good examples in all cases)

I went through and hunted for installed geotiff and shapefile
examples on the disc, and symlinked them back into the common
data dir. if there will be surplus sample data on the disc, at
least have it exposed and ready to go.
perhaps parallel to the Natural Earth we can bundle a 2400x1200
rendering of the BlueMarble2002/2004 as multiple projects seem
to be wanting that.

regards,
Hamish