[Live-demo] Fwd: [SpatiaLite-Users] Re: Spatialite database on OSGeo Live DVD

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 19 13:10:05 PST 2012

[everyone, please be kind and post in plain text not html, thanks]

Cameron wrote:
> Our strong preference is to use datasets already installed on
> OSGeo-Live. I've already mentioned that it reduces size, but
> the other reason is that uses can test 2 different databases
> with the same data and see how they do or do not differ.

there seems to be a little confusion here. spatialite already
ships a ~40mb data file, Micha is replacing that with a ~5mb
one. spatialite does not work with geotiffs and shapefiles
directly, so on the disc ships a soon-to-be-much-smaller own-
format prepared file. IMHO projects should be fine to do that
with small project files, especially in cases when they do not
natively work with shapefiles and geotiffs. (although import/
export to widely used formats would be great in the quickstart)

> So before we add another dataset,

we're not adding a new one, we're greatly shrinking an existing
one. I've been coordinating this with Micha off list.

don't worry, it's all good,
Hamish

ps- see data/ dir in latest build for "extended" sample geodata
which was previously hidden in per-project installs.