[Live-demo] 5.5 RC1 Status - missing R add-on packages

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Feb 20 16:03:08 PST 2012

On 02/20/2012 03:39 PM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:37 PM, Cameron Shorter
> <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Barry, as we are in the final days before the osgeo-live release, I'm very
>> strongly in favour of not rocking the boat or trying anything even slightly
>> risky, as we don't have time to fix it.
>>
>> Hence if the current deployment of R and docs match up, I suggest that we
>> delay any R updates until the 6.0 release.
>>

> +1
>
>   There's no way I can write a nice rgeos example in the time anyway!
>
>   As long as I can work out the procedure for installing the
> prerequisites for users to be able to build and install these add-ons
> then I can document that somewhere if I ever want to use the live-dvds
> for some fancy R-gis stuff. It should just be a case of apt-getting
> the developer libraries and the package source code, right? Will play
> with it later in the week, but it's my problem and not yours!
>
> Barry

Barry,

Install at build time has all the deps, so just adding it to the scripts
will get it on the disk. You've probably noticed we also remove all of
these post install in order to save space.

So for showing end users how to do additional package installs, yes they
would need to install all the build libs just like we do in the scripts
before. This itself might be a good Advanced portion to the Quickstart.
See our current script install_R.sh, I believe that has all the apt-get
commands that would be needed to build other packages.

This is the way all R package work on Linux, no package ships binaries
unless it's via the cran debian/ubuntu repos (which is mostly just the
core).