[Live-demo] Re: Questioning referencing MapGuide in docs

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 20:34:24 PST 2012

Cameron:
> It seems that MapGuide has some difficult technical challenges getting
> it working on the latest Ubuntu, and no volunteers to sort the issues out.

just done a little digging to see what those were (as there are a number
of very good eyes lurking on this list), and it seems to me that the long
term prognosis is actually rather positive,

http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/RE-MapGuide-on-LiveDVD-5-0-td3778904.html
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/ticket/1775
http://www.osgeo.org/pipermail/ubuntu/2010-April/000190.html

as always a volunteer is needed, and hopefully with ubu 12.04 a lot of the
req'd package version stuff magically resolves itself.

step 1 seems to be building & installing FDO, which would make it 2 birds
with one stone if covering all osgeo projects becomes an explicit goal of
the livedvd. (GEOS is already on the disc AFAIK, just needs an overview
page)

as suggested by Johan perhaps the present "not on the disc" quickstart
could point to a 3rd party server so at least you could still try it out
as an end-user.  shrug.

Hamish