[Live-demo] GGL2 application for OSGeo Live

Víctor González victorzinho at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 03:34:11 PST 2012

Hi,

I'm Víctor González and I'm currently working for the GGL2 project [1]. We
would like to include it into the OSGeo Live DVD, so I have answered all
the questions in the wiki [2] further down. Let me know if there is
anything else that we need to do in order to include it.

Thanks in advance,
Víctor.

[1] http://www.gearscape.org
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Apply

---------------------
* * What is its name? *
GGL2
** What is the home page URL?*
http://www.gearscape.org
** Which OSI approved Open Source License is used? *
GPLv3
** What does the application do and how does it add value to the GeoSpatial
stack of software? *
The application provides a new geoprocessing language with specific
constructions to make geoprocessing creation more easy and reliable. It can
be connected to GIS applications such as gvSIG in order to get the data and
show the results so it interacts with some of the GeoSpatial stack of
software in order to add new geoprocessing capabilities (fast creation and
execution of custom geo-algorithms).
** Which language is it written in? *
 Java
* * Which version of the application should be included in the next
OSGeo-Live release? *
GGL2 m3 (milestone 3)
** What is the size of the user community?*
We had almost 500 downloads over the last two months. However, the mailing
lists has been recreated a few months ago and they are not really busy yet:
http://ggl2-usuarios.1062791.n5.nabble.com
http://ggl2-users.1062796.n5.nabble.com
** What is the size of your developer community? *
 We are two active developers.
** Do you have a bug free, stable release? *
Not yet. Bug fixing (http://xp-dev.com/trac/ggl2/report/1) is the next step
in our roadmap and we plan to do so in the next few months, but the latest
release (milestone 3) is not intended for production scenarios.
** Please, discuss the level of testing that your project has gone through.
How long has the project has had mature code. *
The application is based on the Eclipse platform, similiar to the uDig
approach, so we can trust on the platform stability. Apart of that, the
GGL2 code running on top of that platform reuses some code from the
previous GGL version, which was stable. Moreover, we have over 300 tests
checking the code correction and stability.
** Does the application have a user interface that a user can interact
with? *
Yes, the user interface is inherited from the Eclipse platform.
** Who will act as the project's liaison person? *
 I will play that role.
** Can you please discuss how your application will be installed.*
Just like Eclipse, simply unzip the package. If gvSIG is installed, unzip
the plugin into the gvSIG extensions directory and we're ready to go.
** Can the application run in 512M of RAM? *
The minimum required memory to run the application is 128M, so yes, it can.
However, it will require more memory for geoprocessing. Whether 512M is
enough or not will depend on the geoprocess algorithm and data.
** How much disk space will be required to install the application and a
suitable example application? *
Less than 200M.
** If another dataset would be more approriate, please discuss here*.
Maybe it will be interesting to have some CSV or GPX files to work with. We
can include some simple sample files in our own package/sample project and
it will not exceed the 200M limit.
** Each OSGeo-Live application requires a Project Overview available under
a CC By and a Quickstart available under a CC By-SA license. Will you
produce this? *
 Yes.
** In past releases, we have included Windows and Mac installers for some
applications. It is likely we won't have space for these in future
releases. However, if there is room, would you be wishing to include
Windows and Mac installers?*
It is not necessary.