[Live-demo] OpenJDK Only for LiveDVD 5.5?

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at osgeo.org
Tue Jan 3 13:48:33 PST 2012

On 3 January 2012 21:28, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Andre, Even, Jody,
> Thank you for your insights.
> Based on your advice, it sounds like it will be unwise to try to migrate all
> java based OSGeo applications to OpenJDK by our OSGeo-Live5.5 release due in
> March 2012.
>
> As such, I propose that Sun Java be included on OSGeo-Live5.5.
>
> I'm hopeful that we can find enough space to include OpenJDK, (ideally
> version 7) on this andĀ  future OSGeo-Live releases, and start moving all
> applications across to OpenJDK as soon as they are available. This will mean
> that the OSGeo-Live community can be drawn upon to help with testing which
> hopefully can be seen as a positive for java projects.
>
> Does this sound reasonable?

(I remove cc to geoserver-devel to not cross post an OSGeo Live specific topic)

Yes it sounds reasonable for me.

We can't force the change right now. Having both VMs on this 5.5 or
(better IMHO) next release would be great,  so projects can gradually
move to OpenJDK on mid term seems the best approach.

Anyway I think is a good thing to try to move to a completely free (as
in freedom) Java Virtual Machine now that we have OpenJDK more or less
ready to be used, at least for testing purposes. OSGeo Live is BTW a
testing/demoing environment so is OK to me even if it's not on the
perfect performance configuration.

Cheers

Jorge Sanz
http://es.osgeo.org