[Live-demo] Where should JAVA_HOME be set (if overriding default=openjdk 1.7)?

edgar.soldin at web.de edgar.soldin at web.de
Sun Jan 15 16:20:38 PST 2012

On 16.01.2012 00:33, Hamish wrote:
> edgar wrote:
>> does the osgeo live-dvd set a JAVA_HOME env var?
>> if yes where?
>
> in /etc/profile.d/ and /home/user/.profile
>
>> the switcher would have to change it.
>
> just the value in ~/.profile should be changed, and

ok

> <2 cents>
> the more I think about it, in my humble opinion
> that should be left to the power-users doing the
> beta testing to uncomment or re-comment as they see
> fit. (and if they have a problem editing text files
> then it is in their interest and ours for them to
> learn, & fast)  a script to change that auto-
> matically (as nice as it may be) is still basically
> over-engineering the issue and adding unneeded
> layers of complication: Keep It Simple and Stupid.
> </2 cents>

overengineering it is indeed... just wanted to know if it's possible

> wrt system wide, debian already provides the
> `update-alternatives` method of switching; any
> attempt to circumvent or reinvent that is destined
> to make things more complicated and fragile, and
> we ignore that already-invented and already used-
> for-java wheel at our peril.

a systemwide exchange of all java components should be done properly, true. simply i tried never to achieve that and although bruno reis gives a good introduction later i definitely think that would be wasted effort.

> fwiw--
>
> the included `gxmessage` program can be used to
> make quick and nice GUI frontends for a scripts,
> perhaps even with radio buttons.

thanks for the hint

> Ubuntu 12.04 will ship openjdk-7 natively so
> this is just for this 5.5 interim release.
>
> openjdk7 is symlinked to the ubuntu-expected name
> of /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-sun

who would have guessed

> any desktop icon used for beta testing would be
> removed in the final 5.5 release.
>
> see also http://brunoreis.com/tech/intalling-java-ubuntu-natty/
>
> run-time scripts (as opposed to build-time scripts)
> should go into gisvm/trunk/app-conf/java/ and
> be copied into /usr/local/bin/ by the bin/install_*
> script.

could do so, if you want to. i feel some rejection on your part, which i can definitely understand. telling all java projects to set proper JAVA_HOMEs in their launch scripts (do all java apps use scripts?) would achieve the same with less effort.

so, any one else an opinion?

btw. i'd agree to have the java projects to adapt their launchers manually. they have to do so anyway.

..ede