[Live-demo] Where should JAVA_HOME be set (if overridingdefault=openjdk 1.7)?

maplabs at light42.com maplabs at light42.com
Mon Jan 16 11:53:54 PST 2012

Hi Cameron - thx for your work on this

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 06:38:04 +1100, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
So to cover all scenarios we want to test, I suggest we do the following:

> JAVA_HOME defaults to SunJava globally, then:
>
> Case 1: Project has confirmed application runs in OpenJDK.
> * Application's start script sets JAVA_HOME=OpenJDK
> * We test app with OpenJDK
>
> Case 2: Project hasn't confirmed application runs in OpenJDK, or says
> only runs in SunJava
> * Application doesn't set JAVA_HOME, so it defaults to SunJava
> * Test 1: with SunJava
> * User can then change JAVA_HOME to OpenJDK, then rerun the
> application start script
> * Test 2: with OpenJDK
> * Verify OpenJDK is running by running "ps aux | grep java" or similar

not quite.. a key is the "update-alternatives" mechanism in Ubuntu
Without knowing much about how it works, I gather that we have to
change that value *first*, then set environment vars, then call the app

It appears you are starting a set of instructions for testers..
Perhaps someone that is familiar with java behavior can go through the
exercise of actually switching "update-alternatives" and doing whatever
else to run, and report back, before sending less-skilled people to test

  -Brian