[Live-demo] pycsw in OSGeo Live.

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 29 14:34:13 PST 2012

> Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 12:11:33 -0800
> From: hamish_b at yahoo.com
> Subject: Re: [Live-demo] pycsw in OSGeo Live.
> To: gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com; cameron.shorter at gmail.com
> CC: live-demo at lists.osgeo.org
>
> Last April Cameron wrote:
> > My initial feeling is that it would be great to
> > include pywcs in a future release of OSGeo-Live,
>
> (for the record we did ship it with the 5.0 release,
> just didn't list it on the contents page.)
>
> > but as pywcs is still only at a 0.1 release,
>
> version numbers are meaningless. ignore and forget
> them and judge the app on the app instead.

FYI pycsw is at 1.0.0 (which is what looks like is included with 5.0), with 1.2.0 scheduled for April 2012.  What's the timeline for the next livedvd release?

> > without wide uptake yet,
>
> for FOSS that metric is rather impossible to know,
> but anyway if it is good, hence a great reason to
> include it on the disc- to get it wide exposure!
> chickens and eggs...

Agreed, we do know pycsw is being tested/prototyped in various environments, and that exposure on the livedvd would be beneficial for those looking for a Python CSW (many CSWs are Java-based).

> > it is premature to include pywcs into the next
> > OSGeo-Live release.
>
> If it's buggy or incomplete that's one thing. If
> it is just unknown that's a very different matter,
> and something we can help with.

pycsw makes a point of passing OGC CITE and it's own testing framework as enhancements/fixes are commited.  We feel is complete enough for a user to stand up an operational CSW catalogue (with transactions if desired as well).

> I suggest to review and improve the overview and
> quickstart reST pages, then make the final call on
> whether to keep it listed on the contents page once
> we get feedback from our beta testers. (a great
> incentive to make the overview page clear about
> what the user should expect, and to make the
> quickstart clear about how to go about doing it)

We would be glad to update these pages as appropriate.  Thanks!

..Tom