[Live-demo] pycsw in OSGeo Live.

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Jan 29 14:47:11 PST 2012

On 01/29/2012 02:41 PM, Tom Kralidis wrote:

>> Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 14:39:45 -0800
>> From: tech_dev at wildintellect.com
>> To: live-demo at lists.osgeo.org
>> Subject: Re: [Live-demo] pycsw in OSGeo Live.

>>> FYI pycsw is at 1.0.0 (which is what looks like is included with 5.0), with 1.2.0 scheduled for April 2012.  What's the timeline for the next livedvd release?

>>> Agreed, we do know pycsw is being tested/prototyped in various environments, and that exposure on the livedvd would be beneficial for those looking for a Python CSW (many CSWs are Java-based).

>>> pycsw makes a point of passing OGC CITE and it's own testing framework as enhancements/fixes are commited.  We feel is complete enough for a user to stand up an operational CSW catalogue (with transactions if desired as well).

>>> We would be glad to update these pages as appropriate.  Thanks!
>>>
>>> ..Tom
>>>

>> I would love to see an example CSW on the disc using the included
>> datasets. The quickstart could include browsing using the CSW plugin in
>> QGIS. I realize that might take some more work, but would be interested
>> if not for this version trying to achieve that on version 6 in the Fall.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex
>>

> Are there any sample metadata on livedvd?  By default, pycsw always ships with the OGC CITE test metadata.
>
> ..Tom

I haven't really checked, but will put that on the ToDo list since we
are using NaturalEarth data and the GRASS North Carolina dataset. Would
be interesting to generate on the fly OSM metadata as we install that on
the disk too (only the bounding box changes occasionally).

Hmm, maybe we need to recruit some metadata editors. I imagine we could
work towards pycsw and geonetwork sharing a metadata set.