[Live-demo] Virtual machine overview documents

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 15:11:45 PDT 2012

Micha,
Are you still good for your offer to write a VM Howto?
We were discussing this in our daily IRC meeting and agreed that it
would be good to have one.

What I suggest is:
1. Try to ensure that the doc is concise, so there is less to translate.
(The current VM that I wrote is too long).
2. Describe how to set up a VM for only one VM. Our quickstarts should
be quick, (and easy to maintain), and shouldn't confuse users by asking
them to decide on which VM to use.
3. I'm open to suggestions re which VM you think you should write to.
I'd guess you would select the easiest, or most widely used Open Source
VM, but this will probably be your call.
4. Finish with a link to an OSGeo-Live-VM wiki page. The wiki page can
include much more detail, including how to install multiple versions of VMs.

Lastly, I'm being really bad by hoping to get some docs within a day or
2 - which will be required if we are to give translators enough time to
translate it. (I'm also hoping to review it for you).

I've created an issue to track this here:
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/966