[Live-demo] New app for 6.0; Proposal

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 20:24:21 PDT 2012

On 14/06/2012 8:35 AM, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
> On 06/14/2012 01:19 AM, Alex Mandel wrote:

>> So all of that is php code?
>>
>> I went to both websites and can't seem to get in at all to read the
>> installation instructions (in any language).
>> http://www.softwarepublico.gov.br/
>> I could not figure out where to actually go (even though I can somewhat
>> read Spanish(and therefore some Portuguese)).
>> I went to
>> http://www.softwarepublico.gov.br/register/?return_url=/ver-comunidade?community_id=1444332
>>
>> and got an error. "Repeated Operation
>> Operation blocked. Don't submit the same query, while the old one is
>> still running..."
>>
>> 2nd time I got a registration form and worked my way through.
>>
>> https://gvsig.org/web/projects/i3Geo
>> Only has a self signed cert, and even after confirming an exception took
>> forever to load, then requires a login just to browse. No registration
>> option is visible.
>>
>> I then poked around until I got to
>> http://mapas.mma.gov.br/download/arquivos/v4_6/ but couldn't find a deb
>> to try.
>> ----
>>
>> Tentatively I think i3Geo will be a welcome addition but may only be
>> experimental/optional on version 6. So I encourage you to start
>> preparing documentation and installation script.
>>
>> I have big reservations about sites that require logins as the only
>> means of accessing the community. Not to be US/Euro centric either, but
>> a few intro English pages on the website to help non Spanish/Portuguese
>> speakers might be good too (I'll try google translate).
>>
>> While on that topic are you interested in adding a Portuguese
>> translation to live.osgeo.org or does written Spanish suffice?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex
>>
> I agree with Alex,
>
> This software could be added as beta and not installed by default
> until next releases.
> Also, it would be valuable to have some demo web site in English to try.
>
> Thanks,
> Angelos

My feelings on including i3Geo is similar to comments from Angelos and Alex.
It seems there are a number of discussions we need to have before we
decide to include i3Geo on OSGeoLive, and I feel we are too late in the
osgeolive6.0 release cycle to tackle these issues in time for this release.

In particular:
* We will need to work out the amount of room on the DVD.

* To date OSGeo-Live is provided in the first instance in English, and I
believe it needs to work flawlessly in English in the first instance.
(This is a discussion we are yet to have on the osgeo-live list). As
such, I suspect there will require extra QA to verify i3Geo works
completely with an English interface (including error messages etc)

* i3Geo should switch to using sample datasets from OSGeo Live, rather
than their own datsets.

* And we need to do all this and make sure there is time for QA and
translators to update docs.