[Live-demo] Teaching Spatial Programming - Raspberry Pi

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu May 31 14:12:03 PDT 2012

Hello all,
I've been asked whether OSGeo-Live would run on Raspberry Pi, to be used
as a teaching device a.
Raspberry Pi is a $25 credit card size computer. It runs Debian and only
has 256 Meg of RAM. http://www.raspberrypi.org

I've CCed the OSGeo-Live email list, as I expect there will be many on
the list with an interest, and probably a few opinions too.

The challenge will be the size of RAM. Up to version 5.0, we ran
OSGeo-Live with 512 Meg of RAM, but with version 5.5 we discovered that
some of the Java applications required more RAM, and we recommend at
least 768 Meg RAM, and preferably 1 Gig.
The problem will be all the java based applications, which are RAM
intensive.

You could potentially run OSGeo-Live, without invoking the java based
applications and there are a C based applications for most, if not all
the tasks you would likely to be teaching.
You could test this be running OSGeo-Live in a Virtual Machine, and
limiting the size of the RAM in the Virtual Machine to 256 Meg of RAM.
You can see approximate RAM usage, and core language for many of our
applications in the following spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al9zh8DjmU_RdGIzd0VLLTBpQVJuNVlHMlBWSDhKLXc#gid=13

OSGeo-Live is based upon Xubuntu (which is a small version of Ubuntu),
and I note from the faq that Ubuntu is not supported by Ubuntu. That
might be a problem.
What you may need to do is start with a Debian Squeeze distribution,
then execute the OSGeo-Live build process, probably with a few tweaks,
to build a custom OSGeo-Live. In this process, you might also only
select applications which will run within the 256 Meg limit.