[Live-demo] 6.0.1 USB creating (still) fails

Barend Köbben kobben at itc.nl
Thu Nov 8 08:42:31 PST 2012

Hi all,

For an upcoming workshop [1] I want to create USB startup disks from the
latest and greatest 6.0 Live DVD. Unfortunately whatever I try, I cannot
create USBs that reliably start up from the osgeo-live-6.0-1.iso image.
They either do not work at all (fails completely or starts up in text-only
OS and complains about missing files), or they start up VERY slow the
first time and freeze on use of almost any app (e.g. the web browser), and
fail after that first attempt.

Using exactly the same 8Gb USB sticks and the same tool (Applications >
System > startup disk creator) I have no problems if I use either
osgeo-live-mini-6.0.iso or osgeo-live-5.5.iso

I tested this on several PCs, some with an existing live DVD sys on the
hard disk (installing that does work!) or with windows natively or without
anything installed on the HD. Results are all the same.

I have seen messages on this list that seemed to suggest this was solved
with the newer 6.0-1 version, but it does not work for me. Any tips or
remarks...?

Yours,
--
Barend Köbben
Senior Lecturer, ITC - University of Twente,

[1] - http://kartoweb.itc.nl/kobben/SOMAP-OSGEO-workshop/

Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
University of Twente
Chamber of Commerce: 501305360000

E-mail disclaimer
The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in relation to the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete the message and any attachment and inform the sender by return e-mail. ITC accepts no liability for any error or omission in the message content or for damage of any kind that may arise as a result of e-mail transmission.