[Live-demo] JTS Topology Application for inclusion in Live-DVD

Stefan Steiniger sstein at geo.uzh.ch
Sun Nov 11 08:19:21 PST 2012

Dear all,

On behalf of Martin Davis and as a response to a request of Cameron I
would like to formally apply for the Project “JTS Topology Suite” to be
included in the (next?) Live-DVD release:

Please describe your application.
=================================
* What is its name?
JTS Topology Suite

* What is the home page URL?
http://tsusiatsoftware.net/jts/main.html

* Which OSI approved Open Source Licence is used?
LGPL

* What does the application do and how does it add value to the
GeoSpatial stack of software? :
JTS is a geometry library that provides geometry classes and spatial
operations as defined in the OGC simple features specification for SQL.
- It is used as a geometry engine by a range of FOSS4G, such as
OpenJUMP, gvSIG, OrbisGIS, deegree, GeoTools, Sextante GIS etc. (see:
http://tsusiatsoftware.net/jts/jts-links.html#systems) It also the
"reference" implementation for the OSGeo project "GEOS" used by many C++
FOSS4G (PostGIS, GDAL, QGIS). JTS iships with the JTS TestBuilder that
allows creating and processing geometry and has a value as tool in
production and education.

* Does the application make use of OGC standards? Which versions of the
standards? Client or server?
- OGC Simple Features for SQL, (at least v. 1.2.0)
- rather server side, but on what side are desktop GIS? ;)
- OGC SFS applies to both client and server side

* What language is it written in?
Java

* Which version of the application should be included in the next
OSGeo-Live release?
version 1.12

==================================
Stability is very important to us on OSGeo-Live. If a new user finds a
bug in one application, it will tarnish the reputation of all other
OSGeo-Live applications as well. (We pay most attention to the following
answers):

* If risk adverse organisations have deployed your application into
production, it would imply that these organisations have verified the
stability of your software. Has the application been rolled out to
production into risk (ideally risk adverse) organisations? Please
mention some of these organisations? :
- The library is used in production. Is used in several desktop GIS and
server applications, and such have been used in public administration
(JUMP, OpenJUMP, gvSIG, GeoServer).  Many hundreds of organizations have
deployed products containing JTS.

* What is the size of the user community? You can often answer this by
mentioning downloads, or describing a healthy, busy email list?
- The last version 1.12, from June 2011, has about 7200+ downloads (by
10. Nov. 2012). The user list:jts-topo-suite-user AT
lists.sourceforge.net, receives an average of 1-2 emails per day (and
sometimes many more).

* What is the size of your developer community?
one core developer (Martin Davis)  and several contributing developers
over time

* Do you have a bug free, stable release?
bug free is unlikely ;) but stable exists

* Please discuss the level of testing that your project has gone through.
- a lot since 2003, given its use in other GIS software
- many unit tests are supplied, including over 2000 geometric cases

* How long has the project has had mature code.
- since February 2002

* OSGeo-Live is targeted at applications that people can use rather than
libraries. Does the application have a user interface (possibly a
command line interface) that a user can interact with? (We do make an
exception for Incubated OSGeo Libraries, and will include Project
Overviews for these libraries, even if they don't have a user interface.)
- yes, JTS comes with the JTS Testbuilder, that can be used for case
studies and teaching

* We give preference to OSGeo Incubated Projects, or Projects which are
presented at FOSS4G conferences. If your project is involved in OSGeo
Incubation, or has been selected to be presented at FOSS4G, then please
mention it.
- it has been presented at FOSS4G conferences (e.g. FOSS4G 2007 in
Victoria BC, FOSS4G 2011 in Denver), and in 2011 Martin Davis received
the OSGeo Sol Katz award for his work.

============================
* With around 50 applications installed on OSGeo-Live, us core packagers
do not have the time to liaise with every single project email list for
each OSGeo-Live release. So we require a volunteer (or two) to take
responsibility for liaising between OSGeo-Live and the project's
communities. This volunteer will be responsible for ensuring the install
scripts and English documentation are updated by someone for each
OSGeo-Live release. Also test that the installed application and
Quickstart documentation works as expected on release candidate releases
of OSGeo-Live. Who will act as the project's liaison person.
- most likely Martin Davis (mtnclimb - gmail), Stefan Steiniger (sstein
- geo uzh ch), etc.

* OSGeo-Live is Ubuntu Linux based. Our installation preference is:
- needs custom install script
- but jts 1.11 is also in Debian GIS
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=jts&searchon=names&suite=stable&section=all

* OSGeo-Live is memory and disk constrained. Can the application run in
512 Meg of RAM?
How much disk space will be required to install the application and a
suitable example application?
- yes
- about 10 Meg

* We aim to reduce disk space by having all applications make use of a
common dataset. We encourage applications to make use of the example
datasets already installed:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Example_Datasets If
another dataset would be more appropriate, please discuss here. Is it
appropriate, to remove existing demo datasets which may already be
included in the standard release.
- JTS comes with an extensive set of test examples, which can serve as
demo data.  Ideally these are provided with the distribution, but if
necessary they can be reduced or removed.  Also the TestBuilder is able
to accept datasets in geometries in WKT and SHP format.

* Each OSGeo-Live application requires a Project Overview available
under a CC By and a Quickstart available under a CC By-SA license. (You
may release under a second license as well). Will you produce this?
- yes

* In past releases, we have included Windows and Mac installers for some
applications. It is likely we won't have space for these in future
releases. However, if there is room, would you be wishing to include
Windows and/or Mac installers?
* probably; but not sure about it by now as it depends on time
constraints.  These are not strictly necessary, since the application
ships with scripts to run it on both platforms.

best regards,
Stefan & Martin