[Live-demo] Are there opportunities to collaborate in the GIS Portal market?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 14:11:22 PST 2012

As we are are planning for our next OSGeo-Live 6.5 release, we are now
seeing a number geospatial portal applications which all seem to be
doing roughly the same thing, and are being developed independently of
each other. (see list below)

It seems to be a crowded market space which would be daunting for
purchasers looking to find the right project, and which I expect would
benefit from a level of consolidation.

I'd like to hear thoughts from stakeholders in each of these projects.
Am I missing something here, what is unique about your specific project?
Are there opportunities for collaboration? Merging of functionality
between projects often has an effort cost up front, but pays off long
term as you share developers and sponsors across one codebase instead of
two.

Spatial portal I'm aware of:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Packages#Package_wishlist

Localwiki
    a local place based wiki software.
    http://www.localwiki.org
    Contact: Philip Neustrom

Geodjango
    a python framework for building geo websites, it's what localwiki is
    built on. Maybe we can copy the existing tutorial which in RST.
    http://geodjango.org/
    Contact: Justin Bronn

GeoNode
    http://geonode.org/
    A packaged stack of PostGIS/GeoServer/GeoNetwork. It's primary goal
    is to let users upload data sets, fill out minimal metadata, then
    allow it all to be remixed in web maps and shared out viaWMS, WFS,
    Tiles, etc.
    As of May 2012, requires a custom GeoServer
    Contact: ?, Being developed by OpenGeo

EasySDI
    http://www.easysdi.org/
    EasySDI is a simple and ready-to-use solution to deploy a Spatial
    Data Infrastructure (SDI) based on ISO/OGC standards. The solution
    is particularly designed for setting up discovery, view and download
    services in a securized environement with rights management and
    multilingual support.
    Contact: Xavier Merour

GisClient
    http://www.gisclient.org
    web authoring tool configurator for GIS projects, based on
    Mapserver/OpenLayers. Applied for OSGeo incubation,
    http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/910
    Contact: Roberto Starnini

i3Geo
    i3Geo allows the creation of interactive maps on the Web and
    dissemination of data through OGC services and download of data
    https://gvsig.org/web/projects/i3Geo
    Contact: Valenty Gonzalez

Cartaro GIS CMS
    Geospatial CMS based upon Drupal, PostGIS, GeoServer, GeoWebCache
    and OpenLayers.
    http://cartaro.org/overview
    Contact: Patric Hafner

      Current OSGeo-Live Web Portals

GeoMOOSE
    A browser based mapping framework for displaying distributed
    cartographic data. It is particularly useful for managing spatial
    and non-spatial data within county, city and municipal offices (from
    which GeoMoose originated).
    http://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/geomoose_overview.html
    Contact: Bob Basques

GeoMajas
    Geomajas is an extensible web mapping framework which seamlessly
    integrates powerful server side algorithms into the web browser.
    http://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/geomajas_overview.html
    Contact: Pieter De Graef

MapBender
    Web based geoportal framework to publish, register, view, navigate,
    monitor and grant secure access to spatial data infrastructure
    services.
    http://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/mapbender_overview.html
    Contact: Astrid Emde