[Live-demo] which version of PostGIS on OSGeo-Live? What apps will be effected?

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at osgeo.org
Tue Nov 20 01:33:31 PST 2012

On 20 November 2012 09:23, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 20/11/2012 6:34 PM, Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas wrote:
>
>> As for gvSIG, we still don't have support for PostGIS 2.0 (even we
>> should). We don't use PostGIS on our default project. So, a database with
>> 1.5 would be great if possible.
>>
>> --
>> Jorge Sanz
>> http://es.osgeo.org
>>

> Jorge,
> I'm unclear about your message here.
> Does the gvsig packaged application or quickstart make use of PostGIS?
> If so, does gvsig use any functions which might break postgis 2.0? (I'm
> guessing that most applications will only be using simple postgis functions)

The default project and the quickstart use shapefiles, but of course any
user might want to connect to a postgis database.

Some recent messages at our lists are reporting that gvSIG doesn't work
against a PG 2.0 database so it is using some SQL calls that are not
present at the new version, or maybe the Java driver must be updated, I
don't know.

So, if there is any way to have a 1.5 database it will be possible to any
user to access it but I can't be strong on asking for this, first because I
don't like to put more work on others if I can't help and because I accept
that gvSIG has to update its driver and in fact, having 2.0 on the OSGeo
Live is a good "push" for us.

 Best

--
Jorge Sanz