[Live-demo] Packaging java gis software for ubuntu/debian

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 10:41:26 PST 2013

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 1:10 AM, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Jody,
> So it seems that JAI (Java Advanced Imaging) is available in Ubuntu
> Multiverse [1]?
> I assume then that we should be able to package JAI dependant applications
> like geoserver into Multiverse too?

With jai in multiverse and in debian in nonfree, it is indeed possible
to package most java gis programs in a way that they can go into
debian and ubuntu! For debian they would go into contrib, for ubuntu
in multiverse.

It will be a huge undertaking nevertheless with all dependencies which
are currently not packaged. Especially because little people know
about both java and debian packaging.

I've added the ubuntugis and debian gis mailing lists. I think it
would be nice to see who is interested in helping out and starting to
package java libraries and programs.

> Would multiverse be the right place to package applications like geoserver?
>

> [1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=jai-core
>
> On 14/12/13 09:06, Jody Garnett wrote:
>
> We do not qualify for deb repositories due to JAI. You can produce stuff for
> apt get and yum but you would need your own repo ( as Boundless has done ).
>
> --
> Jody Garnett

Johan