[Live-demo] OSGeoLive 6.5 RC1 status

maplabs at light42.com maplabs at light42.com
Sat Feb 16 08:14:23 PST 2013

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 17:53:16 +0200, Angelos Tzotsos
<gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,
> I have completed a new build based on 12.04.2 and it looks good so far.
> http://aiolos.survey.ntua.gr/gisvm/dev/osgeo-live-debug-build10000.iso
> This could be RC2 if we decide to make this extra step towards Secure Boot.
>
> I would like to hear more opinions about our options here.
> Hamish proposed another option on IRC yesterday:
> 4. Release RC1 as Final and do a 6.5.1 with the 12.04.2 Xubuntu base
> after a month or so, when more feedback will be available.

from a testing point of view, you have to say, where are the risks?  e.g.
What set of users and hardware are affected by the changes in 12.04.2 ?
How could those be at risk given this change?

internally, it is unlikely that application layer software is affected much by
a tiny point change like that, but what might the interactions be?
Are there changes that effect any of the software stacks?

The rote way to test is to mechanically re-examine all bugs, and
re-examine all features, and re-examine all quickstarts, when there
is a platform change.. This is labor intensive and as noted, we dont
have the labor available to do that..

It is always smart to characterize the nature of the delta, and use
insight to try to find where bugs and problems are likely to be...

Since Ubuntu Linux and the software on the Live is very complex,
I welcome the ideas of others to make good decisions about testing
to acheive quality, and decisions about change to lessen risk to quality.

best regards
  -Brian

--
Brian M Hamlin