[Live-demo] OSGeoLive 6.5 RC1 status

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 08:51:41 PST 2013

Hi Brian,

Some answers inline:

On 02/16/2013 06:14 PM, maplabs at light42.com wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 17:53:16 +0200, Angelos Tzotsos
> <gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>> I have completed a new build based on 12.04.2 and it looks good so
>> far.
>> http://aiolos.survey.ntua.gr/gisvm/dev/osgeo-live-debug-build10000.iso
>> This could be RC2 if we decide to make this extra step towards Secure
>> Boot.
>> I would like to hear more opinions about our options here. Hamish
>> proposed another option on IRC yesterday:
>> 4. Release RC1 as Final and do a 6.5.1 with the 12.04.2 Xubuntu base
>> after a month or so, when more feedback will be available.
>
> from a testing point of view, you have to say, where are the risks?
>  e.g. What set of users and hardware are affected by the changes in
> 12.04.2 ?

Until RC1 we used Xubuntu 12.04.1 base iso and during *all* our builds
we used "apt-get upgrade".
This means all updates until the day we built RC1 are included (except
kernel updates that were kept back to protect chroot environment)
The new 12.04.2 base iso brings in updates that were released the last
couple of days (Qt4, openJDK updates and a new kernel)
The new kernel (3.2.0-37) brings support for Secure Boot and I seriously
doubt that it would affect any software of our stack.
OpenJDK update brings in the last *very critical* java patches that so
much noise was made around the internet the last weeks. My opinion is
that this is a serious security update and we should ship with it.
Regarding Qt4 updates, small part of our stack is built on Qt and we can
test those applications to check that they are not affected.

> How could those be at risk given this change?

Regarding hardware, I am not sure we ever tested on specific hardware. I
feel that we always trust Ubuntu on this area. Why should this change now?

> internally, it is unlikely that application layer software is affected
> much by
> a tiny point change like that, but what might the interactions be?
> Are there changes that effect any of the software stacks?

I think this is covered above.

> The rote way to test is to mechanically re-examine all bugs, and
> re-examine all features, and re-examine all quickstarts, when there
> is a platform change.. This is labor intensive and as noted, we dont
> have the labor available to do that..

I understand that we lack on the testing side, and yes we need more
testers to make all the quality checks needed.

> It is always smart to characterize the nature of the delta, and use
> insight to try to find where bugs and problems are likely to be...
> Since Ubuntu Linux and the software on the Live is very complex,
> I welcome the ideas of others to make good decisions about testing
> to acheive quality, and decisions about change to lessen risk to quality.

I feel that since testing was only done so far by a small number of
users, it would not be hard to run one more round of testing before
release, but I really want to hear everybody’s opinion on this.

> best regards
>   -Brian
>
> --
> Brian M Hamlin