[Live-demo] UbuntuGIS - Google Summer of Code - packaging Java based OSGeo applications

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Jun 16 16:48:24 PDT 2013

On 06/16/2013 04:21 PM, Hamish wrote:
> Cameron:
>> I think the key thing we are looking for is an understanding of what
>> needs to be done to package java applications - something like a HOWTO
>> or similar, such that other projects can follow your footsteps.
>>
>> Probably the best way to achieve this start packaging one of the
>> projects.
>
> it's not really a question of how to do it at a basic level, it's more
> a question of how to do it properly in light of the java traditions
> of everyone self-bundling requirements with a few tweaks here and
> there, which is in conflict with the packaging needs of sharing
> libraries as much as possible. A side effect of Oracle tightening up
> on the JAI license terms is that it forces the FOSS Java projects not
> to use it, which (somewhat ironically) helps the packaging effort in
> the long run.
>
> from that perspective a first step of packaging java apps is to identify
> the common jars and package those (from source, no blobs) first.
>

> there are geo-java apps already in the main repositories (e.g. josm)
> which could perhaps be used as a model?
>
> see also this thread:
>    http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.gis/month=20110201
>
> there are other highly-relevant old threads but I'm stuggling with
> the older "pkg-grass at alioth" DebianGIS archives right now since they
> aren't indexed on Gmane yet..
>

> regards,
> Hamish

Wild guess, this might be in relation to the rumors that maven can
directly lead to deb packaging in line with the normal build procedure
of many Java apps. I don't know the details but it's been mentioned to
me a few times. There was also some technical bit I didn't quite
understand about how to push Java apps to Debian and Ubuntu build
servers, since they didn't use to have the JAVA build chain on them but
I think do in some way now.

Maybe step 1, is clarify the procedure.

I agree josm might be a good place to look.