[Live-demo] UbuntuGIS - Google Summer of Code - packaging Java based OSGeo applications

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 01:51:14 PDT 2013

Hamish,

can you give some extra info on the JAI tightening?

Anyway even without JAI changes we should really consider whether our
first focus should not be to get rid of this NON FREE/NON OPENSOURCE
library. I don't think people using the live dvd are aware of this
problematic license. JAI is in fact under two licenses: the Java
research license and the java advanced imaging distribution license
The first one is not possible for our live dvd, since we distribute
JAI:  "Research Use expressly
excludes use or distribution for direct or indirect commercial
(including strategic) gain or advantage."

So do we really want to have programs on our live dvd using the JDL?
https://java.net/projects/jai-core/sources/svn/content/trunk/LICENSE-JDL.txt?rev=111

I think this is a discussion that should be done prior to deciding
whether we should spend more time and efforts on java packaging, since
most "open source" java projects rely on this library.

Johan