[Live-demo] pywps to osgeo-live

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 15:31:55 PDT 2014

Thanks all for feedback and suggestions.

I'd be comfortable with PyWPS being included without a web interface, if
there is a PyWPS quickstart showing how it can be used within a client
application.

More comments inline
On 4/08/2014 8:50 pm, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
> To avoid confusion I think we should perhaps update our overview and
> split up web services [1]. Now it reads: "publishing spatial data to
> the internet". That does not cover all services, nor is the list very
> understandable.

We have had a few goes at trying to aggregate applications, and I don't
think there is a way to cleanly aggregate all applications, and there
many applications provide multiple services.
Eg: GeoServer provides WMS, WFS, WCS, WPS. GeoNode includes WMS, WFS,
WCS, ...
I suggest keeping existing categorisation, and adding, but changing
description to:
"publishing *and processing* spatial data via the internet"

> I suggest split it up in data publishing services, metadata publishing
> services, processing services and other services. With a short
> explanation of what they mean with a reference to the pages describing
> the standards that we already have [2].
This index page already has a lot of text on it. I wary of adding extra
text as it makes it harder to find what people are looking for.
Effectively, this page is equivalent of a Table of Contents.
While I like the idea of linking to standards from this page, it will
likely become messy when you consider that many projects support 4+
standards. We do have this information in the Project Overviews instead.

> I believe these standards pages also need some more care. I really
> wonder if anyone who is not familiar can read those.
I fully agree. I'd go so far as to say they need a complete rewrite.
This would take a non-trivial amount of effort. Unfortunately, then OGC
standard descriptions are very variable, and as such there isn't an
authoritative source providing good, concise descriptions of OGC
standards. (This has been raised with the OGC).
If someone were prepared to write good overviews of OGC standards, I
expect you will get reviewers from the OGC, and the OGC will likely
adopt them too.

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager