[Live-demo] Deprecating MySQL from OSGeo-Live?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 14:28:20 PST 2014

Hi Henry,
For the next OSGeo-Live release, we are looking to deprecate MySQL because:
1. We would like to reclaim the space it uses
2. It appears that Ushahidi is the only application using MySQL, and
Ushahidi can be configured to use another database
3. PostGIS or Spatialite provide arguably better spatial support than MySQL

Henry,
I'd like to hear your thoughts on whether you think you can update the
Ushahidi install script to make use of Postgres or Spatialite instead.
Can this be done in time for the OSGeo-Live 8.5 release? (By end of
January 2015)

Regards,

--
Cameron Shorter,